Is it Fall yet?! I don't know about y'all but I am oh-ver this ridiculously hot weather. I'm ready for football games, crisp air, pumpkin lattes & cozy candles. Not to mention warm apple pies and big piles of leaves. When it comes to Fall style, most of us know the basic essentials: tall riding boots, chunky knit scarves, and dark, muted tones. But I've rounded up some unexpected fall essentials: items I believe are still absolutely necessary for your fall wardrobe but yet are a little edgier and more fun.
1. Showpiece Coat // It's inevitable that we have to have a warm coat as the days turn cooler, so why not kick it up a step. The coat is essential but the extras like sparkly trim detail or bold color are what give it that unexpected pop. Instead of picking a solid color, seemingly plain jacket, opt for one with fun buttons or a unique fabrication.
2. Sheer Button-Up Blouse // The button-up blouse is a staple in every woman's closet, but add a hint of playful sophistication by choosing one made from a sheer fabric. This can easily be dressed up with a patterned pencil skirt (see number six) for a holiday party or dressed down with jeans and tall boots for a day in the apple orchard.
3. The Smock Dress // No doubt you'll be attending lots of parties as we move into Fall and the holiday season. The smock dress is a flattering silhouette with a touch of whimsy. This essential can be worn during the last few days of summer with bare legs and then easily transition into colder days with tights and boots. Bonus: the easy, flowing lines of this dress style will be extra forgiving if you eat a few too many slices of pumpkin pie!
4. Colored Bag // Big bags are my daily go-to but I love accessorizing in the Fall and Winter even more because the bags are just a bit bigger, the leather a little richer, and the colors a tad deeper. Look for bold, saturated hues. And please don't think you have to match your purse to your shoes! Just forget that rule ever existed. Invest in a plum or forest green bag and wear it all season long.
5. Menswear Watch // Large, statement pieces of jewelry are essentials all year long I think, but even more so in the Fall. We tend to get a bit bolder with our choices. Although a watch is an essential, try to pick one that is menswear inspired for an unexpected pop of style.
6. Patterned Pencil Skirt // Vibrant patterns aren't just for summer, look for chunky designs in rich colors. The pencil skirt is universally flattering! Even if the fit doesn't initially appeal to you, I'd highly encourage you to give it a go. Finding the perfect pencil skirt, is kind of like finding the perfect pair of jeans -- you'll have to try on several pairs and maybe even kiss a couple frogs, but you'll be handsomely rewarded in the end!
7. Granddad's Sweater // This is my favorite essential. Grandfather cardigan, boyfriend sweater -- call it what you will but this over-sized, chunky, soft sweater is an absolute must-have to transition into Fall and well into Winter. Since the shape is unstructured and not form-fitting, make sure to keep your other pieces well-fitted and tighter with lines closer to the body to balance it out. The granddad sweater will keep you cozy and comfortable.
Which one of these unexpected Fall essentials is your favorite?
Do you have any to add to the list?
And most importantly, which would you choose: pumpkin or apple?