Collagen continues to be one of the biggest health trends. But, collagen shouldn’t really be classified as a trend, because it’s a powerhouse supplement that has so many benefits. So what is collagen exactly? Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body (it makes up approximately 30% of the proteins in our bodies) and is a key component of all connective tissues. Think of it like glue that holds your body together.
Collagen provides the infrastructure of the musculoskeletal system which is what allows us to move! If you lack the amino acids that combine to form collagen, your body’s cells can’t produce enough of it.
Collagen not only helps our hair, skin, nails and joints but it also has protein and helps to heal the gut. It truly is a super star! My favorite brand is Vital Proteins. Their collagen is incredible! One serving has 20g of protein and is completely flavorless! I like to switch it up between the marine collagen and the collagen peptides. Vital Proteins has a wide variety of collagen options including Beauty Waters and flavored powders! The possibilities are endless, but if you’re just getting started I would recommend beginning with the Collagen Peptides.
So what are you supposed to do with Collagen? Eat it, drink it, use it, take it?!
Here are some fun and easy ways to incorporate it into your daily routine!
- Lemon Water – I love to start my morning with warm water plus lemon. There are so many detox benefits and adding Collagen just gives it an extra boost!
- Morning Smoothie – Don’t be afraid to add Collagen to your smoothies because the Vital Protein Collagen Peptides has no flavor! Plus it adds so much protein to keep you fuller longer.
- Oatmeal – Next time you’re whipping up a warm bowl of oatmeal, stir in Collagen while it’s on the stove. There’s no taste and you’ll get all the extra benefits!
- Butter Coffee – Another big trend has been mixing coffee with MCT oil and grass-fed butter and drinking it instead of breakfast. You can add Collagen to your coffee concoction to get extra protein and all the other benefits.
- Morning Matcha – For all your matcha lovers, Vital Proteins just released Matcha Collagen! And there’s a peach flavor too. Mix it up with some hot water and coconut butter and you’ll have a delicious morning drink.
- Baked Goods – The next time you’re baking banana bread or even cookies, add a few scoops of Collagen! I’ve found that I do not need to adjust the recipe at all – the Collagen doesn’t affect the proportions and I get added protein!
- Coconut Yogurt Parfait – Whether you DIY it or use store-bought, mix in a few scoops of Collagen into your coconut yogurt. I like to use whisk to make sure it’s incorporated really well. Top with berries or nuts and enjoy!
- Eggs – As you’re scrambling your eggs in the morning or whipping up an omelette, stir in a few scoops of Collagen. Easy.
- Avocado Toast – As basic as it may seem, there’s something so comforting about mashed up avocado on a freshly toasted bread. I like to top my bread with butter first, then mash up avocado with 1/2 scoop of Collagen, and spread onto the toast. Top with sesame seeds and a few red chili flakes. Voila!
- Evening Elixir – Do you drink a turmeric latte or chamomile tea before you go to bed at night? Stir in Collagen while you’re warming it up on the stove.
I hope these tips have been useful for you! Do you already take collagen? What are some creative ways you include it in your daily routine? I’d love to see! Feel free to tag me on Instagram @maebad with your recipes!